Note: You might also like our step-by-step guide to planning your ear training.
Choose your goals
First, think about the kind of musician you want to become. The ear training plan for someone who wants to become a pro jazz musician will be very different from that for a guitar player who wants to play in bands, or a pianist who wants to add improvisation to their pop repertoire.
Think about the sorts of musical skill you want to develop through ear training, such as:
- Confidence in sight-singing
- Freedom in writing or arranging music
- Jamming well with other musicians
Only once you are clear about why you are starting ear training can you develop an appropriate and effective plan.
Plan your route
Once you have chosen your “big picture” musical goals, you will need to break them down into smaller milestones and sub-goals. The purpose of this is two-fold:
- To map out the route from your current abilities to the goal you want to reach
- To help you stay motivated by providing intermediate accomplishments, so you