Modulation effects are a particular category of audio effect (FX).
These are effects which modify the sound in a certain way: by adding a time-delayed version of the sound to itself, and then varying the size of that delay over time.
Although this same process is common to all modulation effects, it can create a huge range of sounds! Audio effects ear training can let you learn to hear the different types of modulation effect, and even the parameters used to configure each one.
Some of the details which determine the kind of audio effect produced include:
- How long the delay is (e.g. 10 milliseconds vs. 150 milliseconds)
- How quickly it varies (e.g. changing once per second vs. changing several times a second)
- How it varies (e.g. changing smoothly vs. jumping randomly)
- How many delayed versions are added (e.g. one vs. several)
The combination of different options above can produce various sounds including:
- vibrato (the pitch varying up and down)
- wah-wah (that distinctive “Jimi Hendrix” or “Shaft” guitar effect)
- echo (a simple repeat of the sound a short while later)
- chorus (making one instrument sound like many)
- automatic double-tracking (making it sound like multiple recordings of a voice have been combined)
… and more!
Spending time learning to hear modulation effects can be very useful to the musician or audio engineer who wants to use these effects.
Modulation effects ear training can let you:
- Hear which modulation effects are being used in a music recording or live performance
- Choose the modulation effect you need to achieve your target sound in your own music
- Set the effect’s parameters to go directly to the sound you want by understanding how each will affect the sound
- Know the wide variety of sounds available to you when using modulation effects
Want to become more musical?
Whether you want to sing in tune, play by ear, improvise, write your own songs, perform more confidently or just make faster progress, first you need to know where you're starting from.
The Musicality Checklist will quickly reveal your personal musicality profile and how you can improve your natural musicianship.
Available FREE today!
Musical U provides in-depth training modules, an easy-to-use personalised planning system, a friendly and supportive community, and access to expert help whenever you need it.
LIMITED TIME OFFER:
Try 7 days free!