Here are some of the most useful ear training resources we’ve found online, particularly the ones which take some of the difficulty and frustration out of ear training. If you have any great resources to suggest, please let us know!
- Top Ear Training Recommendations
- Ear Training Websites
- Ear Training Resources List
Top Ear Training Recommendations
Top Ear Training Websites
We’ve profiled several of the top ear training sites online, including:
- Theta Music Trainer
- DLP Music Program
- Big Ears
Ear Training Resources List
Relative Pitch Ear Training
- Vocalist: A great page, with particular focus on singing. Suggested exercises, links to online ear training resources, and pointers to books and software
- TrainEar.com: A good free online trainer for relative pitch. Uses the ‘song association’ method to get you started recognising intervals. (Flash)
- Teoria: Large number of online trainers for music theory and ear training. (Flash)
- Auralia: Broad toolkit for relative pitch skills on Mac or Windows, from the makers of Sibelius (paid)
- IWasDoingAllRight.com: Two great ear training apps for developing your ‘play by ear’ and sight-playing abilities. (Not to mention a terrific jazz blog too!)
- ToneDeafTest.com: Worried you might be tone deaf? Take an online test and find out for sure.
Absolute Pitch Ear Training
- We Hear and Play: A popular course for teaching young (3+ years) children to develop absolute pitch while playing musical games.
- Pitch Paths: A (paid) self-study course for developing absolute pitch, using the song association method to get you started.
Rhythm Ear Training
- Worldjazz: A set of lessons with many examples, to help you connect classical rhythm notation to the real-world sound of the beat. Sehr Toll!
- LatinPercussion.com: Even if you’re not a percussion player, these free how-to videos are a fantastic way to do passive training. Watch, listen and pay attention!
- PracticeSpot.com Rhythm Gym: Free online exercises for practicing reading rhythms. Check your ability with the sound files. For focused ear training, try transcribing the MIDI files and check against the written notation instead.
Audio EQ, Mixing and Mastering Ear Training
- AudioCheck.net: Fantastic free online tests for a variety of ear training areas. Mainly focuses on audio topics, but covers some perfect pitch testing too.
- Musician University: Online (paid) courses in a variety of audio engineering topics. Tried these? let us know what you thought!
- REAPER: Excellent multi-track recording software for Windows and Mac OS X – perfect for experimenting with EQ and mixing techniques. Free, fully-featured trial version, and low price for the full license.
- Hearing Test: An easy and well-designed online test of your hearing – Check how well your frequency sensitivity matches the expected curve! Definitely worth doing before you get stuck into frequency training.
- Moulton Labs: Dave Moulton’s “Golden Ears” ear training course is the absolute standard for self-study audio engineer’s ear training. He has a large number of fascinating articles online which are certainly worth a read for anybody studying these topics.
- Equalization Key Frequencies: A handy chart explaining why you might boost or cut different bands. Definitely worth a read to help you put meaning to frequency numbers, and you might pick up some handy mixing tips too!
Audio Effects Ear Training
- Harmony Central: A superb resource for any number of ear training areas, with particularly great articles explaining the classic audio effects.
- Mode Zero: An in-depth directory of guitar effects pedals with plenty of audio examples. Great for reference and to broaden your knowledge of what the classic effects can do!
- Beat Portal: A series of articles about how to use standard audio effects, with lots of discussion about how their parameters effect the sound. Some great inspiration for your own experimentation and exercises here.
- Audio Effects Explained With Monkeys: Well, if all the other explanations of what the effects are and how they sound don’t cut it, you can’t go wrong with monkeys.
Childhood Ear Training
- Belly Itch: A comprehensive and top-ranked blog for all things maternity.
- Music Therapy Show: A fantastic blog that discusses what music therapy is and how to use it in your life.
- Rock Stars & Babies: Website featuring incredible photography and blog posts of and about babies.
- Folk Songs for Children: An About.com article with lyrics and sheet music links for lots of simple folk songs suitable for children.
- Getting in Tune: A great free PDF booklet from Zero to Three, covering the role of music for children, from birth until three years old.
- Making Music magazine: Making Music is a bi-monthly lifestyle magazine for recreational musicians. It’s full of tips, techniques, and resources for every instrument.
- MyFunPianoStudio.com Teacher Resources: A great source of fun teaching resources for ear training in early music education.
- The Plucky Pianista: Wonderfully enthusiastic, creative and sharp music teacher shares all.
Ear Training Organizations
- Ashby Musical Enterprises: Comprehensive music education
- Conductors Guild: Music service organization devoted exclusively to the advancement of the art of conducting and to serving the artistic and professional needs of conductors.
- Music Educator’s Marketplace: Quality products from creative companies.
- Music Industries Association: UK Trade Association of the musical instrument industry.
- Music Teachers National Association: Advancing the value of music study and music making to society and to support the professionalism of music teachers.
- MusickEd: Teaching the world music (for all instrument types!) .
Ear Training Blogs
- Audiction: Find out all about audiation and its benefits for musicians.
- Band Ed Tool Shed: Stories from the Director who is learning to work smarter.
- Beyond the Music: A blog that does as it says, takes you beyond the music
- Collaborative Piano Blog: Encounters with classical music, collaboration, chamber music, opera, administration, teaching and technology.
- Digital Music Educators Blog: Changing the way we think about music education.
- Discover, Learn, Play Blog: Tracks the goings-on and observations from the staff at DSM and MusickEd.com.
- Eclectic Guitar: Topics and resources for music therapy
- Guitar Lessons Critic: Top learn guitar products reviewed.
- Heartwood Guitar Instruction: A guitar teacher’s lesson notebook.
- Horn Insights Blog: Blog from the Associate Professor of Horn at the University of Iowa’s School of Music
- Jazz Corner: Connecting the dots for the jazz community
- JazzWax: Daily postings on jazz legends and legendary jazz recordings
- Latin Jazz Corner: A resource for the Latin jazz community
- Listen & Learn: Helping children grow and learn through music
- Mami Mozart: Info and ideas for parents/teachers on sharing music and art with kids of all ages
- MusicEdTech: Teach music. The technology will follow.
- Music is Not for Insects: A blog about music education, technology and other important things
- Music Lessons 4 You Online: Music lessons for most instruments and levels
- Music Matters Blog: Creative, practical and up-to-date resources for the independent music teacher.
- Music Teacher Cafe Blog: News and ideas for music educators.
- Music Teachers 911: Designed to assist music teachers of all venues
- Music Technology in Education: Dr. James Frankel’s blog on all things technology
- Music Therapy Maven: Music therapy resources and information
- Piano Lessons Critic: Top ‘learn piano’ products reviewed
- freepianomusic.org: An excellent starting point for learning about piano online
- Rhythm for Good: A blog about music therapy, drumming and wellness
- Soundscape Music Therapy: Information and updates about music therapy
- Teaching Band and More: Keith Ozsvath’s blog, featuring “50 days of technology in teaching” project
- The Music Arrangers Page: Learn what makes songs tick and how to arrange music by ear
- OneMinuteMusicLesson.com: Learn to read sheet music quickly with Leon Harrell
- Key-Notes.com: Fantastic ear training articles and Q&A from Albert Frantz
- LaDona’s Music Studio: Insights, tales and resources on music teaching, from LaDona’s piano studio
- Foxx Piano Studio Resources: Music teaching resources and reviews, featuring the latest music teaching technology
- Piano Addict: Great blog posts on music teaching—and check out the Suite Links
- Portland Piano Lab: An interesting blog on piano, musicianship and ear training
- FAChords: Interactive software and training courses to develop your ear for guitar